Sunday, February 01, 2009

Asexuals on the TV Screen

Allright all you aspiring hollywood writers out there. Ily's recent post on queer cupids has propmted me to brainstorm some ideas for asexual archetypes I hope to see popping up. Many of these are already out there, but not dropping any identity yet. Doing so could make things spicy and oh so interesting...  

The Cupid- Asexual character uses her uncanny familiarity with nonsexual intimacy to set up sexual characters. Character is out, proud and wisecracking ("you look fantastic, now run off and have some of that sex you like so much.")  

The Closet Case- character with conflicted feelings about being asexual finds community, wears t-shirts, gets an asexual love interest.  

The Asexual Slut- affectionate, flirty, this character gets nonsexually intimate with everybody. This character is out, proud and empowered, she/he has an uncanny ability to turn sexual tension into, a she puts it "something interesting." People who think they are going to bed with her wind up staying all night doing something that they find more interesting and personally relevant than sex, much to their surprise.  

The Homewrecker- boy meets girl, girl meets asexual. Boy and girl struggle to understand what constitutes "cheating" when an asexual is involved. At moment of confrentation asexual befriends boy, they figure it out and live happily ever after.  

The Clueless- otherwise intelligent character simply does not get sex. Accidentally makes comments with sexual innuendo. Asks for sexuality to be broken down in nonsexual terms ("So what's the deal with butts? Someone break it down for me, I'm lost here.")
The Vis King/Queen- Whenever character mentions asexuality, people around her overreact with confusion. Character is annoyed by this, and has a glib line that she uses to explain asexuality and dismiss disbelief. ("Some people like sex a lot and some only like sex a little, right? Some people don't like it at all.")

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog, great post! It would be really cool if some A's started to show up on tv shows, hope the writers read your text!
I'd like to suggest yet another type of asexual...the martyr (or stupid, or miserable), who keeps getting into relationships with sexuals and hopelessly trying to fit in. I know I'm one... :(

Rima Bhattacharyay said...

hahaha...this was fun to read. I like the Asexual slut. I can totally seeing men scratching their heads going...umm, am I getting some sugar? And she is like "sugar, oh yeah totally. one cube or two?" Charming smile, infectious personality, full of life, mildly flirtatious (mostly in a playful innocent way)...okay, clearly I have myself in mind...hehe. At the end, the plot line could have her waiting for her prince charming believing in some fairy tale idea of romance. Somehow the vagaries of practical existence fail to dampen her spirit-:)
But honestly, I think this would be the best way to bring asexuality on the big screen and break a few age old stereotypes about i) how asexuals can be fun and outgoing and confident and have great lives (without the sex) ii) everyone is looking for that special someone, and being asexual doesn't take away from your personal equations or your needs for intimacy.
Oye, I am up for this part, but more importantly I would love to see it on screen...would be oh so refreshing-:)

Ily said...

Haha, yay! I tried to write a novel with an ace character, but since I have no idea how to write a novel, it kind of died. Maybe it is, indeed, screenplay time-- I've written a play before so maybe those formats would work better.

Anonymous said...

My fave asexual character of all times is Special Agent Dana Scully from the X-files. Not only is she the female version of the stereotypical asexual scientist, Scully was better than that, she was almost the Goddess Athena archetype incarnate. Scully was the 1990s daughter of that other famous asexual character, detective Sherlock Holmes. I can't tell you what a relief it was for me as a teenage girl to see such a female character on TV very week, to see that it was possible to be a *cool* nerd, to have adventures saving the world from Evil, and to have a bond with a male partner as smart as oneself, but with no pesky (obligatory) sex (scenes) whatsoever. There has never been a female character since (if anyone knows one, let me know).

Anduril Elessar said...

I really enjoyed this post! What a fascinating idea for a character--and in the cases of some archetypes, there's already an implied asexuality, as touched on by one of the anonymous commenters re Athena.

I for one would love to see any of those characters make an appearance on the small or silver screen.

Anonymous said...

Exactly, that's an excellent way of putting it: asexuality already has its own archetypes. I am sure some fictional characters of old were made to appear asexual so as to get the book/film/art-work past the censors, but I d like to suggest that the character's asexuality took a life of its own and became a quality of the character rather than a manufactured lack of character to keep the censors happy. I am thinking of a documentary on Horror Movies I saw last summer in which the academics grudgingly admitted that censorship actually forced the film-makers to be more creative and innovative.

Anonymous said...

"The Clueless" made me laugh, because, well.. wait... Wait. ... .. Okay, really, what's the deal with butts? I DON'T get it!

Julie said...

Loved the post! You know, I just posted this topic, about Amélie, the main character of the 2001 movie, being an asexual cupid ;)

http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?showtopic=41403

I agree, I would love to see more of this on TV... and on more Oscar-nominated movies :)

Matt Moss said...

I enjoyed this... particularly the homewrecker... at least in part because I don't see myself that far different from it, and because it does beg the question of what is cheating with a romanticly inclined ace.